CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bragging Rights and Blog Material

I think of Provo Canyon as my home away from home. As a family we've had experiences in the canyon and Wasatch mountains that could fill volumes of blog-space: Visiting Grandma and Grandpa Brown’s trailer across from Vivian Park, picnics at Vivian, South Fork, Bridal Veil, and Canyon Glen parks, afternoon-drives around the Alpine Loop and to Squaw Peak, biking the Provo River Parkway Trail, water-skiing at Deer Creek, tubing the Provo river, hiking Upper Falls, Stewart Falls, Cascade Springs and Timpanogos Cave trails, family reunion activities, backpacking and camping along the Ridge Trail. I have memorized every mile-marker along the Provo River Parkway Trail from Will’s Pit Stop to Vivian Park. Our son Justin lived for a summer at Aspen Grove Lodge where he worked as a camp counselor, and our daughter Jen even held her June wedding reception at the Conrad Ranch in Provo Canyon.


Mount Timpanogos is my landmark for home. We watch the peaks of Timpanogos for the first signs of the incoming season, and my favorite is autumn. Even though it feels like I’ve explored every inch of wilderness in the Wasatch mountain range, I’ve never hiked Mount Timpanogos. But this last Saturday, thanks to the encouragement of my cute little sister-in-law Emily, I experienced the spectacular colors of autumn from a whole new vantage point. Kirk, Emily and I hiked the twelve-and-a-half miles (I’m spelling it out so it sounds as long as it felt) to the summit of Mount Timpanogos.
I’m so glad I can check this off my “things to do before I die” list (and by check-off I mean be done with it!) I can honestly say this was harder than running a marathon, which may actually have more to do with being 15 years older and 50 pounds heavier; nevertheless it was grueling. I believe it was even more arduous for poor Emily, aka Mountain Goat, to hike with us, but as I consistently reminded her, I have children that are Emily’s age. Remember Kirk is the eldest son of 12 boys and 2 girls? Emily is married to Ryan, who is one of the brothers who falls in the younger-half-category of the 14 children. At one point on the downhill-side and toward the end of the hike (about mile 10) when she thought I wasn’t looking, I actually caught Emily jogging. It was almost as though she was desperately looking for a way to turn this into a workout, as if it hadn't been already!

We started at Timpooneke trailhead in American Fork Canyon at 7,370 feet, and hiked to the summit at 11,749 feet, which I will repeat is a twelve-and-a-half mile round trip. Two of our favorite boys (Chris and Jake from our BYU ward) met us at the summit, after having spent the night on the trail so they could watch the sunrise. There had been some mention of Chris and Jake having breakfast ready for us at the top, but since we didn’t arrive until after lunchtime….

For the bragging rights and blog material alone, we are happy we did it! Thanks Em, and thanks Ryan for letting us have your wife for the day!

16 comments:

crowbar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kate said...

I thought you might have hiked Timp on Saturday and was reminded of that when we did the Alpine loop to Cascade Springs for some self induction on Saturday. Wasn't it just gorgeous?

The Bensons said...

You guys did awesome and despite what you think I was jogging to catch up to you before the bears got me. I got a workout-trust me. The way I hobble down the stairs because my calves are screaming at me "NO MORE!!!" is proof that I got a definate workout. Also, did you not notice I hardly spoke (which Kirk would have noticed) the last 2 1/2 miles? That was because I was done. I think that is now out of my system for the next year or two or until someone invites me to do it again. Thanks again for going with me and putting up with my endorphine highs!!

The Bensons said...

One more thing- I love your music. It is very appropiate!

Kathy said...

Kate! Did you feel us talking about you on Saturday? None of us had heard anything so we assumed no baby, but I was a little bit afraid to call you..."Are you still here?"...Is there anything more annoying? Yes the weather, the colors and Emily's bum were all georgeous!

Heather said...

Yay!! I've hiked it once too and that was definitely enough for me! I'm way proud of you for doing it, it is seriously way hard! Your comment on my blog was hilarious. I hope people read it and think it's the truth!! Too funny!

Lisa said...

lol.....mountain goat. that made me laugh. Congrats on doing it.....to all of you! I was going to say count me in next year......but by the sound of it, there might not be a next year?!?!!?

The Bensons said...

Oh... my bum. That's funny.

The Bensons said...

I haven't gotten the pictures yet- send them to rbenson44@msn.com.

Thanks!

pilatesmommy said...

YOu're hilarious.....I do not envy this momentous experience one bit. I hiked it once and will never do it again! I hated every minute of it except for the scenery. But good for you for doing it. Love the music and the kissing pic. and you.

Jen Grimshaw said...

This sounds like a hike that I need to do only so that I too can say how much I didn't like it!! You guys look good and that is cool that the BYU boys met you up there. Did dad text them the night before to tell them to meet? :) I agree with you on the mountains though, the red rock mountains in southern Utah just don't cut it for me!!

The Bensons said...

Sorry, I tagged you. (look at my blog to see what you need to do)
Will you please send me the pic's now?

Jen Grimshaw said...

new post please

The Bensons said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Bensons said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathy said...

...and a cute bum it is Em!