CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Don't call...we're on the road!

Last weekend we celebrated over 20 years of wedded bliss! The event was really triggered though, by something that happened about a week after Kirk’s big birthday surprise. We were out for a ride when we pulled up alongside a Harley-brother and traded the compulsory biker greeting. (Does anyone else know about this? Apparently, there is a universal biker wave that is honored by all motorcyclists when they pass one another on the road. No kidding! Next time you see two bikers passing each other, just watch…who knew?!)

Anyway, we pulled up next to our “brother”, and I could actually feel the deep rumbling sound resonating from his Harley. “Why,” I asked Kirk, “is his bike louder than yours?” Well - as it turns out - it is all in the pipes. So...this may not be news to anyone, but I have a teensy-bit of a competitive spirit, and I just couldn’t let the idea of someone else’s superior-pipes, diminish my road experience. So our anniversary was all about beefin’ up the bike. The end result? Now I can FEEL Kirk when he pulls into the driveway and it has nothing to do with our love connection.

To celebrate our anniversary and the new ride, we decided a little outing was appropriate, so we went on a ride through Provo Canyon and stopped in Heber for dinner at the Claim Jumper.


We then worked off the extra calories from our famous-Claim-Jumper-chocolate-cake -dessert by taking the long-way home through Heber, Midway and back down the canyon.

Our anniversary celebration was perfect, but the chill in the air was a reminder of the limited number of days left until our biking days are over for the season. We will be making the most of the time we have left, so don’t call …‘cuz we're on the road!

7 comments:

Owen said...

Happy Anniversary! I think it's hilarious that you were the one who wanted to spend some cash on the bike to make sure you were up to par with your "brothers" on the road! Also, I need to look into your claim that taking the long way home burns extra calories! If this pans out, a cross country road trip on a Harley could possibly help me lose some serious lb's right?! Niiiice.

pappyu said...

Actually, Sis. Benson, there are many secret waves for many various "secret combinations," the biker wave being just one. There is also the Jeep nod (which I used to get a lot when I rolled in my '62 Jeep CJ5, and not so much now in my '00 Cherokee).
Recently, as I have started into my graduate studies, the "super geek" salutation has been extended to me, which basically consists of tweaking your pocket protector, and a quick bifocal adjustment.
. . . Just thought you'd like to know.

Kathy said...

This is all very informative Pat. I just have two questions for you:

1) Do YOU initiate, return or ignore the geek-salutation.

2) When are you gonna update your blog, for cryin' out loud!

Lisa said...

Not to be gross......but if you can FEEL kirk come home on his bike I bet you must REALLY like riding on it now! haha. Anyway, congrats on your 20th!!

Kathy said...

Ummm...22 years Lisa, and see YOUR blog comments for my answer to your question :)

pappyu said...

In answer to question #1, yes, yes, and . . . yes. If the geek is a professor, I initiate. If the geek is above me in his geeky-ness (i.e. my classmates from Haaaarvard, Yale, Princeton, and Oxford.), then I return. If my geek-o-meter indicates that anyone is below me, then I obviously ignore.
And #2, yes I have updated our blog. It is a quaint little piece I threw together on Xiaoyu's mum. Hope you enjoy!

Misti said...

Kathy you are such a cute little biker chic!