CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Remember That Time I Bought You a Harley?

On Sunday, August 3, 2008, I'm pretty sure I pulled off the best birthday surprise ever! So, as long as I've known him, Kirk has wanted a Harley.


I remember a time in the olden days when we were dating. Kirk had pulled up next to a Harley, turned off the radio, and rolled down the window. With a longing gaze (I actually thought he was thinking of me) he turned to me and said, "Just listen to that sound; doesn't it give you chills?"

"Er-no; is it supposed to?" I thought he was going to end the relationship because of my response!

Honestly, I never remotely considered either of us would ever own a motorcycle. Slowly however, our lives began to change: our kids moved out, the house was quiet, we no longer had a reason to be at home, I felt FREEDOM! (sorry kids) Then an acquaintance of ours built this amazing Harley Resort in Lindon, "Timpanogos Harley", and Kirk took me in for a tour. This is one of the coolest buildings I've ever seen, entirely built out of scrap-material from Geneva Steel, the railroad yard, etc. There's a restaurant inside called "Marley's" that our friend Milo manages, and we began visiting Timpanogos Harley more regularly; you know, just to look at the cool building and grab a bite; nothing more!

One day in June while we sat at a table munching on Milo's famous "Sliders", someone started up one of the Harley's, and guess what? I got chills! You know that Cadillac commercial that says, "When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?" Well....

As Kirk's birthday drew near I began to have doubts about my newfound feelings for Harley. Maybe it's a mid-life crisis? What if I'm losing my mind? What about the upstairs-remodel I have been considering? I hadn't told a soul about what I was thinking. Then just before the big day, I casually strolled into Timp Harley, found the General Manager Rick, and told him I wanted to buy a bike. Two hours later I walked out with the pink slip. I KNOW!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??!!!!!

Rick even arranged for it to be delivered on Sunday even though the store was closed. Yes, it's true - he bribed one of the workers with a "six-pack" to deliver a Harley to a Bishop on the Sabbath! (Ha!) What better way to begin my life as a biker-chick?

The minute I walked out of the store I started hyperventiliating! What have I just done?! I called my son Jared. He was elated, and naturally assured me this was the best decision of my life! I called my daughter Jen, who was so excited she dropped everything, packed up her hubby and kids and made the 3-hour drive to Orem so she could be there for the birthday surprise on the following day. On the afternoon of the "event", I started to panic again so I called my sister-in-law Kate. Her response was enough to calm my nerves for another hour, "AWESOME! You just fulfilled Kirk's life-long dream!"

Kirk came home from his Bishop-duties in the late afteroon, and somehow I forced myself to act natural. We started grilling steaks in the backyard for his birthday-dinner, when lo and behold, word had spread to some of Kirk's 13 siblings (there are 12 boys and 2 girls in Kirk's family). Fifteen minutes before delivery time, Kirk's parents, brothers and sister Amy began to trickle in, which would have been really great if they had all gotten word that it was supposed to be a secret - yikes!!! Fortunately, the part about it being a "secret" was passed around with no harm done, and Amy helped me throw off any suspicion from Kirk.

Finally, after what was for me a nail-bitingly, long and panic-stricken wait, the Harley-Delivery-Boy called to let us know he was around the corner. We opened the back gate for him, and when he arrived, he drove right through the gate into the backyard and onto the lawn. Kirk was looking at me as the sound of the Harley reached his ears. He told me later that it was at this moment that he allowed himself to consider that getting a Harley for his birthday might actually be a possibility, but he quickly dismissed that thought, not wanting to be disappointed.

My only mistake was not having a video camera on-hand for Kirk's reaction. There were actually tears!! So.....Helmet?...$100, Gloves?...$50, Harley?...$affordable, Look on Kirk's face?...PRICELESS!!!

The moment I saw my Hot, Harley-Hubby on his brand-new toy, all doubts receded as this thought gradually occurred to me: "I am going to be able to get a lot of mileage out of this birthday surprise, for a very long time....'Honey, remember that time I bought you a Harley?' "

8 comments:

Heather said...

As I opened your blog and heard the music--WOW! Aren't you so glad that officially have this on record. You are seriously the best wife ever! Not a day goes by that Jared doesn't talk about it (and invite me to go on rides with Kirk's bike). Just hopefully next time we see you on it, you'll be wearing helmets! JK Rowling :)

Owen said...

Hi! This is Heather's sister Erica. I heard all about this killer birthday gift! HOW FUN!!! You might just be the coolest wife EVER!! Jared and Heather were sure this would trump their gift by far...debatable!! I would have loved to see the tears!! Priceless for sure!

Anonymous said...

I love it....I'm so glad we were there to witness this priceless moment. BTW I love the blog, maybe it will inspire me to write more....not likely but maybe.

Jen Grimshaw said...

Killer blogspot!! I still cannot believe that you got dad a Harley!! I think that this year will go down in history as the best present ever!! (Unless dad got us...I mean YOU a swimming pool!!

Misti said...

Kirk does look totally hot on a Harley...I have to admit it!

Welcome to the blogging world! I look forward to reading all about your new adventures with all this "freedom" you have! You guys are great!

pappyu said...

Wish my brand new Chinese wife and I could have been there . . . but for some reason every time we went to your house nobody would answer. Huh . . . weird eh?
Anywho . . . we're back in China (where they don't allow Harley's due to the fact that 1.3 people getting goosebumbs would actually result in an atomic explosion), and so maybe now since the threat of us coming over in the flesh is out of the way we can become friends again through the world of blogging (which I am new to as well)? Here's our address: patrickandxiaoyu.blogspot.com

Kayla said...

Kathy!!!! You CRAZY, FUN-LOVING, sister-in-law....what an INSPIRATION you are :-) A Harley...what a FAB idea! And after reading your details and seeing the pics--especially the look on Kirk's face, I actually squirted a few tears (the happy kind!!) for all of you. I'm SO glad you have a blog. It is such a fun way to keep in touch. And, of course, it's a work of art just like you :-)

Hugs to you and the family,
Kayla

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!! Happy I am sure. Can you say road trip??? Maybe to the beaches of California. Kathy you did a great job w/ the Blog. Felt like we was there and sad that we were not.
We love you all and miss you much!!
Oh.....By the way, baby was made a week after the trip. Not in grandma & grandpa room. YUCK!!!!

Love the Glover Family
John,Carissa,Stefan,Alaysia,Luke,
Blake,L.J,and baby bean Due on 23rd of March 2009 Glover